Saturday, April 20, 2019

Grave Considerations: Star Wars Celebration 2019



 Last week, my wife and I had the incredible experience and massive pleasure of attending the official Star Wars convention, Celebration, held in sweet home Chicago. The five day festival honors and . . . celebrates . . . all things Star Wars.

What a great time.

The last couple of years have been real rough to be part of a fandom, almost regardless of which fandom it is. Star Wars has had its share of bitching, as has Marvel; sports seem like they’ve been horribly toxic for many years already; the gaming world has always been full of jagoffs. Things really have felt bleak at times; but not Celebration. Star Wars Celebration was a joyful event that focused on all things positive and Star Wars, even though that is redundant. The atmosphere was amazing and universally positive and welcoming, proving that Star Wars really is for everyone. I personally have felt real nerves before both Celebration and last months’ C2E2 specifically because I’m not interested in the full diapered tantrums of haters and the ignorant, and am just hopeful that those people won’t attend conventions devoted to things that they clearly hate, but who can tell, really. The world is full of all kinds of people, even those who would attend an event just to be negative about it. For some reason.


 But in seriousness, the atmosphere from minute one (since we were there the minute Celebration opened on Thursday –mr) was outstanding. The crowds were terrific, the cosplay was out in full force. For the first time, my wife and I cosplayed as Jedi, with robes and lightsabers we purchased at C2E2. I now fully understand why people cosplay, or why they pour so much time and effort and energy into their costumes. What a fun experience! We weren’t that serious about it, but it was so much fun to do. We dressed up for Thursday, which wound up being a good decision, as there were a number of photo opportunities via the 501st and Rebel  Legions, so we got to take pictures sitting on the Emperor’s throne and in front of an X-wing and everything, in costume, which felt so much more fun than doing so in plain clothes.

There were exhibits aplenty as well, including a large and exciting but ultimately not very informational set up of the coming Disney attraction, Galaxy’s Edge. A very cool assortment of items from Rancho Obi-Wan was one of our first stops on Saturday, where we got to see memorabilia and promotional material from previous Celebrations, along with the most adorable Jar Jar Binks plush of all time.


Best Jar Jar ever!
One of the highlights of the entire convention was the enormous mural near the entrance, depicting characters and elements from all of the Star Wars movies to date. On Thursday, the final section was covered, as it heralded the announcement of Episode IX, which would not be officially unveiled until Friday. When we returned on Saturday, we were able to see the entire image, and both days we were present, said mural in whatever state of uncoveredness brought me to the verge of tears each time I saw it. Man, I love Star Wars, and Celebration was a chance to be totally surrounded by Star Wars for several hours a day, and I don’t know what else to say other than I found this mural to be incredibly emotionally impactful.

The Star Wars Saga at a glance
Things were not all good however, as the convention functioned on a lottery system for the major panels and show exclusive merch, and this left a lot of attendees disappointed when they were not able to get in to certain panels or get certain merch. We “won” the lottery for the exclusive Hasbro figures but for a day we wouldn’t be attending, but there was a correction issued that allowed us to get those pieces anyway. A lot was made of the shortcomings of the lottery system, but in reality, it seems like it worked out pretty well.

Celebration gave us the opportunity to pick up a whole lot of figures, all of which will eventually make their way here. I grabbed a number of Black Series figures my collection was missing, including the Kenobi and Maul which were show exclusives. Nine Black Series figures in total, seven of which were opened, while the show exclusives will spend eternity on their throwback Episode I carded packaging. Also added, after having passed on it at C2E2, was the Tamashii C-3PO, which while not having received a lot of attention just yet, is a fantastic, fantastic figure. We also struck out down some new collecting paths, with my wife buying a Kotobyukia Rey and Finn statue set and I buying S.H. Figuarts versions of Captain Phasma, Kylo Ren, and of course, Darth Vader.

Probably the highest highlight of the entire convention was the Episode IX panel and trailer launch, which we were not present for but got to see online. The cast of the New Trilogy was present and got a tremendously positive response from the crowd. Another massive feel good moment, actors and actresses who have been tormented online by assholes were recipients of long and enthusiastic applause, and they should have been. It was so cool to see the reactions of the audience and listen to the actors talk about their experiences working on up to three movies by this point. That panel was capped off with the Episode IX trailer, which we now know will be titled “The Rise of Skywalker,” despite not knowing what that really means as yet. Come on, December!

HyperReal Darth Vader
As far as personal experience highlights are concerned, I would have to say that my favorite moment of the convention was getting to talk to Mark Boudreaux, Star Wars toy designer extraordinaire, about the upcoming HyperReal Darth Vader, an 8”, fully articulated and highly detailed figure that is being hyped for its having no visible joints. This is going to be realized by covering a highly poseable metal skeleton with a soft rubber, allowing for knees and elbows and waist and hips and shoulders to move without needing joints cut into solid plastic parts. We got to see production samples and the skeleton AND a finished product at the Hasbro display, and I got to take a few minutes and talk to Boudreaux about the design and construction process. Never before have I felt more like a guy who runs a toy blog than at that time. There I was, right, asking critical questions about an action figure, while I was surrounded by people asking much less impressive and informed questions. At one point, I asked something about the rubber covering, in regards to cracking or splitting over time, and Boudreaux gave me a little smile and started telling me about chemicals and stuff. I kept a straight face so that it looked like I knew what mixtures he was talking about, but I didn’t.
 
But really, the highlight of Celebration was spending time with my wife, always a highlight of any occasion, but as has been said many, many times, Star Wars is a thing that you love that you share with people you love. That’s why parents give it to their children, and why I gave it to my wife several years ago: because I love Star Wars, and I love my wife, so I wanted to give her access to this thing that has made such an impact on my life. I first saw A New Hope when I was five or six, and aside from meeting my wife, it was probably the single most important and impactful even of my entire life. Star Wars in many ways helped me form into the person that I am today, taught me lessons that gave me advice that I listen to every single day, and has also been the single most entertaining and absorbing thing that I have ever experienced. I think everyone, or most people, have a thing they found that made this type of tectonic difference in their lives. I can think of three times that I’ve experienced that, in no particular order: when I met my wife, when I first discovered Heavy Metal music, and when I first saw Star Wars. I get to share the love of Star Wars with my wife pretty much every day, and events like Celebration make that feeling of having given this thing I love to someone I love burn with such an incredible intensity. My wife bought these statues of Rey and Finn, because the New Trilogy is her Star Wars, and she genuinely loves the new characters in the same way that I love the Original Trilogy characters, and that is such an incredibly amazing and inspirational thing to see in another person. That’s why people brought their children, sometimes quite young ones, to Celebration, or any other convention: not just to bring them or let them see cool stuff, but to share this truly passionate love of something. All the people who bitch and cry and froth that there’s a girl with a lightsaber or that a new super hero movie focuses on a female character or a black character, they don’t really love the things they claim to. A passion doesn’t falter because they made a movie for Black Panther instead of White Male Hero #24601, or work itself into irrational frenzy because a different character used the Force with the same amount of training as an old, beloved character.  If your passion is so easily shaken by a girl flying a space ship without an on-screen training montage, but you were fine with a boy character not only doing that but then also using a totally new ability that he had ye t to have any meaningful training in blow up a battle station simply by relying on said new untrained ability, your issue is not with the thing you claim to love; it’s that you’ve got some deeper problem that you’re scapegoating. No one has to like anything, and not liking a movie several orders of magnitude different from hating a movie vitriolically because you think a female character is somehow forcing something on you.

Unfortunately, at the end of Celebration, it was announced that the 2020 edition of the traditionally itinerant festival will be held in Anaheim, California. For some reason, I’d allowed myself to grow hopeful that the organizers would announce Chicago as the permanent home of the show, and I was legitimately crushed to find out that that improbably and unlikely announcement was never coming. A guy can dream, though, and I certainly did. The experience was an unbelievably wonderful one, and if there is ever an opportunity for us to attend again, we are going to go for all five days.

Celebration truly lived up to its name, being an absolute celebration and reveling in all things Star Wars. It reminded us that the franchise is in good hands for the future, not only in terms of what Disney is doing and has planned, but also in terms of the fans, despite what it often seems like thanks to too much Internet time. The overwhelmingly positive and joyous atmosphere was truly a thing to experience, and it was so restorative, like deep down in my soul I feel like the world is a better place for having attended and witnessed the love and enthusiasm for the franchise. If you ever have the opportunity to attend a Star Wars Celebration, do it. Do it and don’t even hesitate or wonder if it’s worth the time and money, even if it’s only for a day or two. Just do it. Go and revel in the feeling and love of this thing that brings us together across generations and demographics. Go and share something that you love with people who love it as well. It just may be the best medicine for the soul and spirit that exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment