Sunday, February 3, 2019

Iron Factory: Tyrant’s Wings Amethyst




 A few weeks ago there was a huge reveal of future Iron Factory releases, and once again, they seemed to catch some part of my interest in a way that probably does need to be addressed. Sure, I’ve pondered changing collection gears to more of these Legends scaled figures, already owning a couple and honestly liking pretty much every one that I see. But we’ve talked about this before, you and I, and something about making such a huge (lol) shift in my collecting slightly frightens me; I don’t want to add another line, for lack of a better word here, to my shopping list, but I am growing more and more of an interest in these figures. This is certain to be a thing that will drag out for quite some time until it is finally resolved, and in the meantime, here’s Iron Factory’s Amethyst, a purple repaint of Clone, which is itself a repaint of their Starscream.


Amethyst does everything that Clone does, in terms of transformation and poseability and everything. In true Seeker fashion, all that’s changed is the paint, and here it is a lovely purple that is slightly darker on the torso than the rest of the body. It’s not entirely clear if this is intended to be ‘generic Decepticon Air Warrior,’ as the early days of G1 and then sporadic other fictions would show us, or if this is supposed to be the purple Rainmaker since a yellow and a green version currently exist, with a blue one, the final Rainmaker, due out this spring. Either way, Amethyst is a good way to add some extra muscle to the small scaled Decepticon/Seeker ranks, and that’s always welcome. The limbs are all mounted on ball joints, allowing for a lot of movement and such, and the transformation is simple and good. By “good,” I mean it’s easy and makes sense, but it’s also a quality transformation scheme for a figure of this size. Not as great as the scheme of the DX9 Seeker mold, but we’ll talk about the two molds in a minute. A pair of detachable null rays peg onto the arms, as well as under the wings in alt mode.

In terms of these being Third Party Rainmakers: I currently own the DX9 Seekers and Coneheads, along with Clone and Amethyst. I think it’s a good idea to approach these as the Rainmakers, as they are different looking than their DX9 counterparts, perhaps more Cybertron-ish in their alt modes, so the existence of this figures from two companies with two distinct looks allows for some imagination to take hold. Sure, these techier looking jets are characters who remained on Cybertron while the Seekers and Coneheads came to earth and scanned earth alt modes. That works, right? It is a cool jet mode still, slightly stumpy and not as graceful looking as the other kind, but powerful and rugged nonetheless.

The purple looks very good on this figure, less strikingly bold than the yellow of Clone, as Clone does tend to be a little bit bright. The solid color nature of the Rainmakers seems to sap some of the interest from their look, almost like they’re not as good looking as they are because they are a solid block of color. The black forearms help to distinguish the figure by at least providing some other element to draw the eye, breaking up the purple assault, a great decision in the layout.

Something that has been a possible concern with this mold is the way the legs transform, and whether or not repeatedly doing so would cause the friction joints within to wear down. So far, there have been no issues with this, even after repeated transformations of both Amethyst and Clone, so it may be much ado about nothing in the long run. But, such wear and tear on a critical joint is not unheard of, or even so unusual or rare that the mind totally rejects it. We’ve probably all had that experience where a fresh out of the package figure has such joint problems, so some concern here is not completely unwarranted.

I didn't realize how blurry Amethyst ended up being in this picture until I was getting ready to post this . . .
Just last evening I took a stroll around my apartment and stopped to look at all of the toy displaying elements in it, and began thinking. Over the course of this year, I am anticipating the arrival of some fairly large figures. MakeToys Coneheads are coming, along with Mastermind Creations’ Inventa, along with anything else that pops up that didn’t pop into my head last evening. As I looked at toy displays, I realized that I was going to begin encountering space issues pretty quickly. If I were a collector of these Legends figures, a single detolf shelf would be sufficient display space for a pretty large group of them. Not at all trying to portray my situation as being one where an entire two bedroom apartment (for which we just renewed our lease, and I am much happier about than I probably should be . . . ) has been maximized in terms of its storage ability, but there is going to be a space crunch coming if I don’t address it. That, and the general simplicity of mindless conversion while sitting on the couch or something, as opposed to needing to hold a figure with two hands due to size or bulk, really make these figures appealing to me. But at this point, that’s a thinking-aloud bit that has been done a few times, so I suppose conclusion will come whenever it finally does. But these figures continue to be interesting and intriguing, even if they are not super high on the priority shopping list.

1 comment: