Friday, November 4, 2016

Star Wars: The Black Series K2-S0





Well, here we go again. A new Star Wars movie is on the horizon, the first of the standalone films, Rogue One, arriving this December. Once again, a new cast of characters will be making its debut, and with them, a slate of action figures depicting them, clamoring for us to buy them despite not knowing anything about them right now other than small bits of information gleaned from teasers and trailers and whatever prose there exists to serve as a vague introduction before the events of the movie transpire. Last year, I bought a figure I liked, and banked on the notion that, being a figure in one of the first two waves of The Force Awakens merchandise, it must be a Somebody. It wasn’t. 


K2-SO is my newest foray into a new Star Wars character that I know nothing about but like solely based on looks. A reprogrammed Imperial security droid, K2 is apparently going to be a Rebel, and his box bio asserts he is now totally loyal to the Rebellion after having been reprogrammed. Which, honestly, raises some questions about the noble façade of the Rebellion, seeing as they’re reprogramming droids for loyalty. If a group is all devoted to freedom, but resorts to literal brainwashing and reeducation, how truly devoted to freedom are they? But, don’t listen to me, I’ve been an Imperial supporter all of my life. K2 has Imperial logos on his shoulders, and they are slightly worn or weathered, like they were supposed to be removed but were left for whatever reason. 

I think this is an ominous sign, story wise. If I may, for a moment . . . 
Totally not ominous looking . . .

Unlike The Force Awakens, which ends with an open end connecting to future narrative events, Rogue One will end leading into the events of A New Hope, and since the characters of Rogue One are not in A New Hope, one can make fairly reasonable assumptions that the ending of Rogue One may not be a real happy one. Perhaps the team is undone by a sleeper agent or a traitor, or some such plot twist; not to give in to speciesism, but wouldn’t a former Imperial droid that has been reprogrammed be a prime suspect for the culprit? I’m just postulating here.

K2 is a very tall figure, towering about a normal 6” Black Series figure. Even the tall figures, like Vader and Phasma, are shorter than this guy. He has an excellent design, being mostly devoid of a waist or hips but having very long appendages. He’s gangly and lanky, and there’s something very unsettling about that look. I was talking to a friend about this figure, and I called it a torso with legs, and that’s not really inaccurate. K2-SO does have a waist, and hips, but they are very understated in the design. The figure has a waist joint, which means that the torso and waist are two separate parts. I know that that is an obvious statement, but my first impressions of him were that he was one solid body component, so I was pretty surprised to learn that this was not true. 

I seem to be trapped in some kind of box.
How do I get out of this box?
Apart from the waist swivel, K2 is full of joints in the arms and legs, which gives him a great range of motion and poseability. The limbs are thin and round, the hands kind of skeletal looking. They have shoulder, wrist and elbow joints, as well as thighs, knees and ankles. Because of the thinness of the limbs, I am a little concerned about the strength of the joints, and how well they will hold up over time or from excessive use. For the two years I’ve been collecting Black Series figures, I’ve not yet had any joint related problems with any of them, so my concern here is not born from any precedent, but rather the joints feel a bit soft already, as in they move easily, and if this softness is a precursor to weakness in them, K2 is going to have a hard time maintaining his posture. And I think that, for as slender a figure as it is, the torso is too heavy to be supported by weak knees. I would say the same of the arms, but despite so many promotional images of the figure claiming otherwise, K2-SO doesn’t come with any accessories to hold, so I don’t worry that he’ll be unable to hold his blaster.
Yeah, K2-SO comes with no blaster, despite a lot of pictures showing him with one. 

The head on this figure is exceptional. K2’s head is basically a skull, missing the lower jaw, and the composite look of the character is that of a skeleton, superbly ominous. The eyes are solid white dots, blank and expressionless, even by droid standards. He shoulders are hunched ever so slightly, and the profile is a real creepy robot. Almost, but simultaneously completely different from, like the T-800 from the Terminator franchise, I could imagine this droid being covered in skin or some other disguise for infiltration missions. And the neck is set forward a little bit, giving a very slight hunch, but adding to the unsettling appearance overall.

Molded in all matte black, there is an absolute sense of foreboding about K2-SO. There are a few other details on the figure, but overall his look is sparse and bare. I think it is a very fitting appearance, fitting all things Imperial in not being a very stylish look, rather one that is of utility and function over any kind of aesthetic. Again, not knowing much about it right now leaves my mind free to speculate on its role and nature in the movie, and while I’m trying to maintain a grasp on my enthusiasm, I have high hopes for the character. Star Wars has a great tradition of likeable droid characters, and flat out lovable ones in R2-D2 and BB-8, who is literally the opposite of K2-SO in practically every way. The colorful and expressive BB-8 is cute and personable by design, small and endearing. Compare that with the angular and sprawling K2 here, and I imagine that we’re supposed to have the precise opposite reaction to it. Just now, as I am typing this, my mind hearkens back to the battle droids of the prequel trilogy, and their gangly, skeletal appearance, and how they were initially supposed to be a menacing military force prior to their being exposed as ineffective and demoted to painfully lame attempt at comic relief. You know, those first three minutes of The Phantom Menace.  There was something unsettling about the battle droids, until they were kneecapped by their characterization. I am now possessed of a sort of desperation, a pleading hope that the startling looking K2-SO is not similarly neutered in its film appearance. 

I really, really like this figure, and I really love this design. I have real high hopes for K2 as a character, but those have to wait a little bit to be realized. In the meantime, this is a great Black Series figure that, despite being pretty bare bones, is good looking and, I think, totally worth the price of admission. I would understand people not having strong positive feelings about this toy, but I think it may be one of those that, once you have it in hand, makes a very good case for itself that is not transmitted via Internet images or even seeing it in package. This may be a figure that many people miss out on and later regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment