Sunday, December 13, 2015

Star Wars: The Black Series: Gauvian Enforcer





As I said back in my initial Black Series entry, my interest in the line has been limited to Imperial or Imperial-related figures. That allows me to get my Clones, and whatever First Order stuff catches my eye. This figure is, aside from the Riot Trooper/Poe Dameron two pack Poe, the first purchase that doesn’t meet that criteria. I found the look of this guy interesting from the first images of him that I’d seen, so it was a no-brainer that I’d add it to my Black Series to-buy list. My wife and I found him on a Target shelf, not far enough away from a guy who was looking at the 3.75” version to indicate that said man hadn’t picked this figure off the peg and set him down while perusing other figures. My wife said “Don’t you want this guy?” and picked the box up off the shelf; the man sort of turned and looked at us, first her and then me, and then back to the smaller figure in his hands. “Yes,” I said, and we walked away, receiving a slight type of side eye from the man left in the aisle. Oh, we had many laughs about that, my wife and I, and I christened her as a member of the Taking A Toy Away from Someone Club, and we saw that guy leaving the toy section a few minutes later, with a look that could only be described as disappointed loss on his face. 

This review is for you, whoever you are. 


I don’t know anything about this figure as a character, only that it’s an enforcer for some gang. I’m sure more will be revealed in five days, when The Force Awakens finally opens. He looks very interesting, a type of cross between Batman villains Deadshot and Inque, from Batman Beyond. The head makes me wonder if this is some kind of droid. It’s a strange looking design for a Star Wars figure, for whatever that means: I think there’s a real visual sense of something being a Star Wars toy, or character, and this one doesn’t seem to have it. At least not right now: once the movie is out and there is some context for this guy, then that out of placeness will most certainly disappear. Many of the new characters have that out of place feel: I mentioned it with Poe, and Finn has it as well. Rey at least looks like a Star Wars character; the Guavian Enforcer looks like a comic book villain. 

Accessory-wise, the Enforcer comes with two weapons: one a blockier, rectangular blaster, and the other more of a tommy gun/grenade launcher style gun, the better looking of the two. Both hands are able to hold the weapons, so he can dual wield, unlike the hands of most of the Troopers, who have one hand that is molded to hold a gun and the other is open, but doesn’t have the trigger finger necessary to hold a weapon well. There aren’t any holsters or pegs on this figure, so the weapons can’t store anyplace, which is a slight bummer. The figure has a belt with a bunch of pouches and straps, so it seems to me that a holster on the back would have been feasible. 

 
Stay away from my guavas, you son of a .....
A fairly poseable figure, the Enforcer has the single elbow joint, and his shoulder pad doesn’t limit arm movement, which is good. This has a very interesting look, but much like that two pack Poe, I can’t really say anything about it as a representation of the character. This looks like the kind of character that would be standing in the background of a scene, but that doesn’t seem to be the type of involvement that warrants you a Black Series figure in the second wave of movie figures. So, I guess there must be more to this guy than just standing there looking interesting, but as of now, we still don’t know. I guess we’ll know next week.  I like this figure, and I was set to buy one just based on the look alone. If it doesn’t end up being some thing that plays a real role in The Force Awakens I can see this shelfwarming pretty hard, so I don’t think there’s going to be any real difficulty in obtaining one once the merchandising is in full swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment