Saturday, December 12, 2015

Star Wars: The Black Series: Imperial Shock Trooper





The first of three exclusive figure reviews today, the Walmart exclusive Imperial Shock Trooper is a tie in to the Star Wars Battlefront game. An Original Trilogy Stormtrooper with red accents, this is a good looking figure to add to your Imperial line up.


When I first saw pictures of this figure online a number of months ago, I knew I was going to have to track one down. As should be pretty apparent by now, here at the Coffin, we’re Imperial supporters and army builders. One of the best and worst things that has ever happened to me as an adult collector is the variation among Clone figures that just bust forth in the Revenge of the Sith toyline, and the fact that that has never really happened with any OT Troopers. A dash of olive paint on the shoulders of this guy, and suddenly he’s a totally different Clone from a different unit or of a different specialization or something, and I had to have it. I have a ton of 3.75” Clones; I don’t think my wife even knows how many, content to dwell in the dusky shadows of understanding that I have ‘a lot’ of them. And I’m good with that.

When I first started seeing in hand pictures of the Shock Trooper, I thought it was a different, new mold. When I first saw one running around in the game, I felt a little disappointed, because I realized that it was just a Stormtrooper, repainted. 

And then, I got one of my own. Man, as classic as it is in its stark white and black, the OT Stormtrooper armor is a blank canvas, and the littlest details or alterations make it seem entirely fresh and new. Some red boots, red shoulder pads and chest, brand new figure. A by now pretty standard Trooper takes on a whole new life with the extra paint apps, and that makes you appreciate the original, plain white design that much more as well. 

The real beauty here is the helmet. It has the red in all the right places, and that gives the impression of being an all new helmet. When I got him in hand myself, I had to hold the standard Trooper and the Shock Trooper side by side and really look at the helmets to convince myself that they were the same thing. Accessory wise, he comes with the dull black blaster rifle and a silvery pulse rifle, making this release identical to the regular Trooper on that front. 

The Shock Trooper is proof of concept as far as slight changes to the standard Imperial Trooper making big differences, practically creating variety where there isn’t any. It is not always necessary to have a completely different design to add variety to a line up, and this was something that Hasbro or whoever really learned during that Clone onslaught, extending it to pretty much all toylines between 2005 and the present. A Clone with a skirt piece becomes an ARC Trooper, and that can be repainted over and over and over, resulting in a literal score of unique ARC Troopers. The repaints of OT Troopers have never reached those same heights, and figures like this Shock Trooper show that that is wasted potential. The biggest obstacle to this repainting would probably be the lack of it in the OT films. At least with Clones, we eventually see them on screen in a variety of decos, so there is precedent that such markings exist and distinguish. Add in media like The Clone Wars series and this is practically an indisputable Star Wars truth. The Expanded Universe gave us OT Troopers of different types, but ironically, the Empire, signified by its monolithic, uniform and faceless military provides distinct armor to its various units; unlike the Clones, who all wear the same things.
I really like this figure. I think he looks great, and I think he’s a great repaint of a good figure. He really does feel like a completely new toy, and not just another instance of New Hat Syndrome, the way the First Order Riot Trooper does. The fact that this is theoretically available at retail and retail prices sweetens the deal. I bought mine online, because let’s be honest here: “Walmart Exclusive” basically means you should be able to find it at retail, but you probably won’t, because the store will have four of them, and they’ll be put out at some completely random time, and if you’re not the first guy in the store that day, someone else is going to buy the whole load of them and eBay them. Remember the Transformers Classics Devastator set from like 2004, the Energon Constructicons repaints? At least when Target gets some kind of exclusive, they have a bunch of them and put a lot of them out on end caps. Walmart, who knows what they’re doing, but honestly, Walmart has far more problems than just how they handle their exclusive action figures. 

 If you find this at retail, get this. Totally worth the $20. If you have to track it down online, if you’re going to that trouble already, you know you want it, so you’re going to get it regardless. Minutes after the auction for this ended and I’d won, I was miffed that I had to pay a little more online because I couldn’t find this in a store. And then, minutes after that, I felt really good about winning. Here at the Child Sized Coffin, we are winners; it’s what we do.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment