Sunday, February 18, 2018

Grave Considerations: Moving, Part One





This was begun Friday evening, and my wife and I are sitting around our apartment: she playing video games, and I shuffling back and forth between projects or ideas for projects. Just the previous night, we found out – officially – that we would be moving in 36 days from our current one bedroom apartment to a very spacious two bedroom, complete with living room and dining room. It’s quite a big upgrade for us, and we’re both pretty excited. But, moving is never easy, and while we were then currently relaxing and not making many solid plans in preparation, the journey to this point has been tumultuous. And now, the hard part is about to get underway.


Packing and moving. Thinkpiece, born on a Friday, advanced on a Sunday. Last night (so, Saturday. –mr) we started putting away some figures that we’ve had on display in this apartment forever. Did this for probably 40 minutes and then stopped, marveling at how much work it was. Emptied a shelf and a half of Black Series figures; my wife boxed up her Sailor Moon Figuarts. And that’s basically it. Now granted, we weren’t working at this especially hard or with any true seriousness, just sort of seeing what we could do while we lounged around with our limited boxes and deceptively ample time. Please take that to mean that I currently think we have ample time, especially considering I once moved the morning of an apartment becoming available, and my wife and I moved here with probably twenty days’ notice. So, all things and prior experiences considered, 36 (now 34) days seems like nigh eternity. I mean, we should have plenty of time. I write that as I sit at my computer at 8.15 Sunday morning, clicking between this document and an essay I’m trying to grade for a section of 101, starting to contemplate how we can squeeze laundry, dinner at my in-laws, and Black Panther into realistic hours today.

One of my thoughts last night was about all those boxes I’d thrown out in September, and if that was ultimately the right decision. Putting Star Wars figures in plastic sandwich bags, I couldn’t help but think maybe I shouldn’t have thrown out all those boxes, and looking at third party combiners whose members’ packaging has also been discarded, I thought ahead to bubble wrapping the crap out of toys and placing them in boxes. Should work, right? At the same time though, rummaging through the closet in my mind, I came across several boxed figures that may be better off tossing the packaging and just moving the figure. Watching my wife pack figures in their original packaging did make me feel a little jealous, like she was having some fun that my sandwich bags and I could never hope to match. (She complained about doing this quite a lot, but it looked like fun to me. – mr) Then I looked down and noticed that I’d filled a whole box with figures in the same amount of time it took her to put away ten, and decided my way here was fine.

I am uncertain how much time I will have for articles over the course of the next month, but know that blogging does positive things for me during busy or difficult times, and so I don’t want to say “See you in April!”, because that’s not going to be good for me, nor is it necessary. It just may be the case that my submissions take on moving matters more than toys for a few weeks. Fortunately, I’ve got a ton of pictures already taken, so I should be able to get some quality content posted, as time permits. But we’ll also talk about moving, and the excitement of moving to a larger apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment