Thursday, March 31, 2016

Star Wars: The Black Series: First Order Snowtrooper





 One of my C2E2 grabs was the First Order Snowtrooper. There were a number of vendors at the show that had a wide assortment of Black Series figures, but only one that I saw who had this guy. I’m not entirely sure what wave this comes in, but I’ve yet to see one at local retail. That worries me quite a bit: I know that I’m behind in getting some write ups posted, and I’ve got some stuff that’s pretty much brand new, and also a few things that aren’t as new, but I’d never seen in a store before, and some of them are things that came out waves or years ago in their respective toylines. I’m not sure what has kept some of these things from getting on to store shelves, and it does make me worry when new waves of figures are supposed to be out at retail but all you find are the previous waves’ shelfwarmers, still hanging there. Long ago I found the Leader class Skywarp, right after he’d been released, in a store; now I’m so tired of seeing that Skywarp at every Target that I have to remind my Skywarp that I’m not mad at him, just the other ones. Overall I’ve had little trouble getting the Black Series figures that I really want even on the secondary market, but I’d much rather be able to find them at retail, the easy and fun way.
Some nice detail here to draw your eye a bit.

Anyway, I don’t know what wave this figure comes in, and the pegs at most stores now carry an assortment of the first, second, and First Order TIE Pilot wave, whichever one that was.

I’ve written on the Toys R Us exclusive Snowtrooper Commander already, so in terms of the base figure here, I’m not sure what else to say. The First Order Snowtrooper is the Commander figure minus shoulder pad, and


while still an excellent figure, is a little plain for the lack of orange accessory. The chestplate is nicely detailed, as is the backpack; but overall, the figure is not much to look at, at least not next to other First Order figures. In much the same way as the standard Phase I Clone, the Snowtrooper here is very plain and very white, very much a generic trooper. This is a condition that is not shared by the standard First Order Stormtrooper, as there is enough black in the design that the figure is rather eye catching despite the stark whiteness of the armor. The skirt is plastic, and so again, the hips don't get much range of motion. Too bad, as the legs being nice and thick should allow the figure to hold some good poses, if the hips were able to move more.
Painted details on the backpack are  great, but aren't visible from the front....

Maybe the issue I’m having with this figure is that notion that I got the Commander version first, and so my eyes got used to seeing that orange shoulder part, and now that there isn’t one, my eyes are searching for it. In instances where I have begun gathering versions of a figure with the relatively least impressive, and have upgraded to commanders or special versions, I have been generally impressed with each successive figure. With the Snowtrooper, that general feeling is missing, but not for any fault of the toy itself. 

I have no reason to say the Snowtrooper is a bad figure, because this figure does a lot of things I really like. It has those thick, sturdy legs that the Commander has, and one of the things I’ve generally disliked about the First Order troops has been their legs being a bit loose or not supporting the figures’ weight that well in certain poses. The helmet design is pretty cool, an interesting take on the trooper helmet that is as recognizably First Order as the OT Snowtrooper helmet was to the Empire. And, it turns out, the Snowtrooper gun is the same rifle that Captain Phasma carries, only painted in the standard First Order black and white.

Well, that was pretty much the "has a nice personality" of reviews.
I am excited that an OT Imperial Snowtrooper is coming, along with an AT-AT Driver. 

In the end, the Snowtrooper is a quality add to the First Order ranks, and a good example of what The Black Series does well in a figure. Sturdy and detailed, a very accurate representation of the on-screen character, that looks good on a shelf and feels good in your hands. And I am super glad to have found him.

No comments:

Post a Comment