Saturday, April 2, 2016

Transformers: Combiner Wars Starscream




I’ve already talked about this mold, and I’ve spent a lot of time talking about various Starscream figures, but I want to hit both topics once more here. 

The Leader class Jetfire/Seeker mold is now one that has certainly shouldered its share of reuses. Such is life for any figure that is going to represent any of the main Seeker trio, and there is probably a sigh of relief let go by the mold when the third use is done, knowing that a Conehead can’t easily be made from the same steel plates. “Three uses. . . and now my time is ended,” the mold whispers, before it probably just gets thrown away. This particular mold was used four times, and it was only while taking these pictures that I remembered Jetfire came first. Upon initial news that Jetfire was to be dressed up as Thundercracker, many were skeptical that such a reuse of the figure would be successful, but it really was. The Jetfire and Seeker variants of this seem in places like completely different figures, despite being one of Combiner Wars less intensive reuses.




I never saw Starscream at retail, but took advantage of a sweet 20% code from Hasbro to order him. And some other things, to be discussed later, you know, for suspense. I think it important to mention that there are no conditions under which photos of this toy show it in its actual colors. Before mine arrived, I was kind of dismayed by what appeared to be a white Starscream. Jetfire is a very bright white, and as I wait for Starscream to get here I found myself looking at Jetfire and trying to imagine him with the blue tailfins and different wings. Starscream in reality is that off-grey type color, itself not really Starscream’s actual color, but kind of a tanish grey that does not look bad, but sets him apart from most other Starscreams. I’m trying to think of another Starscream who comes in this shade, but I’m having a hard time doing so. The blue accents on the legs and the forearms help the visuals of the figure, which can look a little bland at times. It’s a Starscream, so obviously, I like it a lot, but two things that are really stacked against this guy is both mold fatigue and the general “meh” reaction to his appearance. Owing to the color, this is the boring member of the Seeker trio, but the three together look very good. The red of the chest looks good, although a stronger red may have worked better: both Thundercracker and Skywarp have very strong main colors, and the silver on their chests draws the eye towards the middle of the figure, allowing for the dominant blue and black to look solid and interesting. Starscreams’ red chest draws the eye center, but the colors as a whole are weak all around, letting nothing really pop or stand out. It was said many months ago by someone on one of the boards that Jetfire felt like a knock off for his thin plastic and relative simplicity for a Leader class toy; Starscream looks like a knock off for his thin and anemic paint choices. Perhaps had the large arm cannons been painted, even simple black to add a strong color to the overall look, this visual cheapness would have been mitigated. But as is, a good toy looks like a cheap toy. 
 
The only new piece here is the crown, apparently now an accessory that must come with Starscreams. Listen to me, “must come with crown eeeehhhhh….” I think this is the third Starscream that has this part: Cybertron’s Supreme class figure, and one of the Masterpieces, the Starscream redux version. I’ve got a third party crown for OG MP Starscream. It is not the case that this accessory comes out too often or in every line, but I feel it is a piece that feels overused very quickly. As much of a Geewunner as I am, this is a reference to one scene in one segment of the lore, so when it starts appearing in times and places where there’s not a real organic reason, it feels forced to me. The crown in nice and fits well on the head, and I’m sure it’s a comic book reference as well, but it is not much in the way of an added accessory. There’s no place to store it in jet mode, or in robot mode if it’s not being worn. Starscream also comes with the missile launching rifle, but I don’t display him with it, so it obviously doesn’t matter to anyone else.

The jet mode is once again sleek and cool looking, looking a bit more realistic in this color scheme than the previous Seekers. The placement of the red is very effective, and attractive. Something that sorta occurred to me out of nowhere as I was taking pictures was the port on the bottom of the jet fuselage. I think it’s intended to be the place where the missile launcher attaches, but for some reason I thought to stick the tiny Reflector that came with Legends Shrapnel some time back under there. It looks kind of neat, and gives sort of a ‘recon mode’ or configuration to the jet. I don’t know, I just thought it was a neat thing to try and I don’t think the result is terrible. Regardless, this is a jet that is sleek and dangerous looking, what they wanted from the live action movie alt mode but didn't quite capture there in toy form.

 Starscream is supposed to be the second of the Seeker versions of this mold, but with mine at least, the toy feels like a third or fourth use of the mold. Joints are pretty loose, parts don’t tab together as well as they should. The jet mode pops apart in a few places if you apply much pressure to the toy, typical of a mold that has been overused. The plastic color also helps him seem kind of knock offish, and coupled with the general thin feel of the Leader class plastic, I can understand some people really being dissatisfied with this toy at its Leader class price. I being a Starscream fan am able to see past the sticker shock (the 20% discount helped with that a whole lot too….) and am able to accept some of the issues because it is my favorite character, but that is only for me personally. I can never fault people for having Seeker fatigue or mold fatigue, and at the Leader class price and size and everything, I can’t fault anyone for not caring or being interested in this toy. But this is a good mold and a good, entertaining toy, one that I find gets better each time I handle it, and as a team, the Leader Seekers look good and imposing.

No comments:

Post a Comment